Event has already taken place!
Summer Intensive: Character Toolkit
This intermediate intensive runs every evening from Monday 24th August to Friday 28th August, 7pm-9.30pm. Intermediate (3/6 months+) These classes will be opportunities to add tools to your growing
This intermediate intensive runs every evening from Monday 24th August to Friday 28th August, 7pm-9.30pm.
Intermediate (3/6 months+) These classes will be opportunities to add tools to your growing toolbox. Normally these classes will expect players to be confident playing scenes. These classes will provide practise and specific new skills.
Study creating characters online in-depth 5 evenings in a row with the same teacher and group. Just like our courses but jam packed into one week!
This course is specially adapted for the digital space, with lessons taken from actor training school and re-worked for the inventive improviser looking to broaden their choices.
By the end of the week you will have a simple toolkit at your disposal which can fast-track you to even greater playful instincts and supercharge any improv scene …
Topics covered will be;
– Crazy creatures, animals and inanimate objects- How to make them as relatable as they are silly.
– Status- Keith Johnstone’s most lasting legacy in impro, learn how playing with status can better tell the story of a scene.
– Accents, impressions & voices – Unlock the power of your voice to create surprising (often ridiculous) new choices for yourself and your scene partners.
– The ‘Viewpoints’ system- As it relates to character, influenced by Anne Bogart. Find greater specificity in your choices onstage and onscreen with exercises that explore Gesture, physical architecture and Spatial Relationships.
– We will also touch upon physicality, to the extent that the online medium allows.
+ There will be some homework in the form of a life study assignment, which will contribute towards the work in classes.
Note: You will not be required to roll around on your hands and knees pretending to be a Weasel or a tree- but it might just happen anyway.
24 (Monday) 7:00 pm - 28 (Friday) 9:30 pm BST
This course is created by Jonah Fazel, an experienced character actor, theatre-maker and Television presenter who trained at Royal Central school of Speech and Drama and the Webber Douglas Academy. He has trained in multiple improvisational styles and has been teaching improvisation for over a decade. In addition to being a guest lecturer at many UK drama schools, he is also a professor of improvisation and The University of Creative Arts. He can currently be seen as a series regular on BAFTA winning online comedy ‘History Bombs’, award winning kids TV show ‘Treasure champs’ and touring the UK with the hit genre show Bumper Blyton: The Improvised Adventure
Virtual Event Details